The Abt blog recently published a list of 77 interesting facts about the store. Here are some highlights.
- The founders of Abt are David and Jewel Abt . Jewel saved $800 and started a radio store in 1936. It is still owned 100% by the Abt Family.
- David Abt loved to be a showman and would stand on his head in the store on products and appliance boxes.
- During the Chicago riots in 1968, David kept a gun hidden in the wall near the cash register. He also practiced firing in the basement of the small store in Logan Square.
- Jewel Abt was charged with assault by the Morton Grove police for asking a customer to calm down. The customer was trying to return a four year old boom box that was out of warranty for three years.
- Abt has never acquired another business and has only grown organically.
- In 2012, Abt had over 1.1 million visitors to the store, making it one of the North Shore’s top tourist attractions. Abt’s website averaged 1.2 million unique visitors per month that year.
- Abt has never had an employee layoff.
- If you see a pink Abt logo on a side of a truck instead of the blue Abt logo, this is not a mistake. The truck belongs to our sole on-the-road female service technician.
- There is a two acre pond behind the store where people are able to fish for catfish, bluegill and bass.
- One employee travels 150 miles or 2.5 hours each way to get to work.
Sign up for the Northbrook Patch morning newsletter to get the latest local business updates in your email. "Like" us on Facebook to see the top stories in your news feed.