Santa's Gifts Saved In Christmas Fire

No one was injured in a Christmas Eve fire on Somerset Lane.

The following report was part of Northbrook's weekly village memo.

On Tuesday, Dec. 24, the Northbrook Fire Department and Northbrook Police responded to the 1800 block of Somerset Lane for a house fire. The call was elevated to a MABAS Box alarm due to the large fire volume, multiple family structure and weather.

There were no injuries because of the fire, but four people were displaced due to the damage. The residents in the home and the residents in the adjacent townhomes were evacuated and transported to the police department for safety. The occupants and their out-of-town guest were placed at the Sheraton on Christmas morning.

The adjacent townhome residents were able to return to their homes that evening. Firefighters were able to retrieve some personal items, including Santa's gifts, from the home. There was heavy fire loss to the garage and one bedroom, including a partial roof collapse, but crews were able to contain fire to the single unit.

Call-back personnel stayed on the scene throughout the night to ensure all hot spots were extinguished and the building was secured by a board-up company.

Sign up for the Northbrook Patch morning newsletter to get the latest police and fire updates in your email. "Like" us on Facebook to see the top stories in your news feed.

Mary Yore Rusch January 02, 2014 at 03:45 PM
I still have problems forwarding your articles by email.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »